From the Altamont Free Library History webpage:
On May 16, 1916, a group of persons interested in establishing a public library for the village held a meeting at the home of Mrs. Robert Shannon. Of the 30 persons present, a large majority were ladies who were also members of the Colony Club. The Colony Club was a social and literary body active from 1906 to 1936. This group composed a constitiution, made preparations for operating a library, and obtained the services of Mrs. Stephen Ostrander as librarian. Mrs. Ostrander would hold that post for the next 36 years.