From Jim Schnur's presentation on the Clearwater Library's history:
The Mayor and Town Council approved the name "Clearwater Public Library" and accepted the Carnegie money. Architect F.J. Kennard, of Tampa, designed the building, and construction contract was won by G.A. Miller at $8,781. The balance of the Carnegie grant was used for furnishings, screens, and a Remington typewriter. The Women's Club arranged the dedicatory reception, and the Library Board hosted the festivities on September 14, 1916. Miss Margaret Duncan was appointed Librarian at a salary of $50 per month, with a possible increase during the winter season. Services of the Library were publicized on the Strand Theater's moving picture screen.
The first year 1,277 visitors borrowed 2,792 books. The Library had a reading room with two Clearwater newspapers, the Tampa Tribune, Chicago Tribune, magazines, and reference books including the 11th edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica. There was a rental shelf (two cents per day with five cents minimum) in addition to the purchased and donated circulating collection of the "very latest literature." Two books could be checked out at once, only one of which could be fiction. 
The original structure – a Carnegie building – was demolished circa 2000.