In July 1913, the library board approached the Carnegie Foundation and requested a grant for $20,000, but they were turned down.
"They were told it was too much money for a population your size," Corona explained, adding that the population of Edgewater was 2,655 at the time.
But later in the year, a meeting between Arthur Mack, one of the Edgewater library trustees and the Carnegie Foundation led to a $15,000 grant after reviewing statistical data and determining that the borough could sustain the library.
After the land was donated by a resident and the borough contributed $5,000, the Carnegie Foundation funded the construction of the library.
Hobart Walker of Orange was the original architectural firm.
The library broke ground on July 26, 1915, and the building was dedicated on Feb. 8, 1916. 
The building is one of New Jersey's 36 Carnegie libraries, constructed with a grant of $15,000 made March 16, 1915 by the Carnegie Corporation and opened in 1916. Engraved about its entrance is Edgewater Free Library. In 2009, the library was listed on the state and national registers of historic places.