From "The History of Mooresville Public Library":
Public subscription paid for the land on which the library was constructed, an 80-ft-by-153-ft. lot located at 30 West Main Street. Donations from Arthur Newby, Judge Smith McPherson, and $500 from the general library fund were also used to purchase the building site, thereby avoiding the use of tax revenues. Librarian Helen Hadley Ward oversaw planning and construction of the new facility. T. L. Bookie, an architect from Indianapolis, designed the structure, while construction contracts were awarded to Frank Marine & Charles Ferguson, local contractors, and Sam Wade, another Mooresville resident, who installed heating, plumbing, and electric. Local businesses, such as F. E. Carlisle and Wilson & White, provided furnishings. The library included a first-floor reading room, with assembly hall and stage downstairs. The library was formally dedicated at public ceremony on January 27, 1916.