From the East Oregonian newspaper:
Rich in history and stories, Pendleton’s Carnegie Library — once a major social hub — reaches its centennial milestone this week.
Initially opened as the Umatilla County Library on Aug. 26, 1916, the building was built with the financial backing of Andrew Carnegie, a Scottish-American philanthropist. His foundation helped fund over 1,600 U.S. libraries between 1886 and 1923, including 31 in Oregon…
The library was eventually renamed Pendleton Public Library and remained in the Carnegie Building until 1996, when upgrades such as ADA accessibility and earthquake structural improvements proved to be too costly. The library moved to the Helen McCune building at 502 S.W. Dorion Ave., while the Carnegie Building was suddenly vacant.