From the Michigan Library Bulletin:
The library movement in Sparta started in 1914 through a suggestion in the Ladies' Literary Club, that they sponsor a reading room. A committee was appointed, and a drive for a township library was carried through. A petition was signed by 558, out of 600 voters, and when election day came in 1916 the vote to tax for library support was almost unanimous (including a first vote of over 150 women). Already in communication with the Carnegie Corporation, word was quickly received of a gift of $10,000 for a building which was dedicated December 3, 1917. Rapid grown attests to the community's need of a library.