From the Valley Roadrunner newspaper:
In 1916, with a population of about 100 families, the citizens of Valley Center petitioned the county Board of Supervisors to establish a library branch in their community.
On September 15, 1916, the Valley Center Branch Library welcomed its first patron. The branch was actually one shelf of books inside Valley School, site of the present-day VC Community Hall on Lilac Road.
Over the years, the library moved to several different locations before inhabiting its current home, a state-of-the-art building of 14,000 square feet, which was built in 2002. The branch houses a collection of more than 52,000 books and related materials, and annually circulates approximately 140,000 items. 
The new library building (pictured on the covers), designed by Domus Studio, won a Citation Award by the San Diego branch of the American Institute of Architects.